Sunday, 6/22/08

We spent the morning getting ready to leave today. I took a nice shower at the marina.  It was hot and I could use as much water as I wanted.

We left at about 12:40pm.  We are headed to New York, NY.  We should be there in 3 days.  Norfolk is a huge Navy port, so on the way out, we saw a bunch of Navy ships and I took a bazillion pictures.  Mr. Owen nicknamed me Shutterbug.  Later in the trip, he changed my name to Grasshopper because he says I never sit still.  He is sort of funny.

It was a bouncy passage once we got offshore.  The winds and waves were much more than we expected.  I hope it calms down tomorrow.  I am happy.©

Monday, 6/23/08

We are offshore in the Atlantic Ocean.  The weather got better.  We sailed today.  The engine barely went on today.  Nothing much happened.  Chris, Mom and I played cards for a while.  I am happy.©

Tuesday, 6/24/08

We sailed into Coney Island Creek today, so we are in New York!  I can't wail to have a knish!  A knish is like a fried mashed potato patty, with mustard.  I love them!

After dinner, Chris and I watched the movie Shiloh.  I just finished reading the book.  Mom has this rule that if there is a movie and a book, you have to read the book first.  I don't really like the rule because sometimes I can't watch a movie when it comes out, but I understand why she does that.  The book and the movie were different.  In the book, someone shot a deer out of season; in the movie, he captured a bunny out of season.  The movie also had a scene that wasn't in the book.  The basic plot was the same though.  I'm not going to tell you about it because it is really good and you might want to read it.  I kind of liked the movie better because they showed things better than I had pictured in my head.  I am happy.©

Wednesday, 6/25/08

We sailed into New York Harbor today.  We passed the Statue of Liberty!  It was a great sight.  I can't wait to climb it (if we do)!

We took a mooring ball at the 79th St. Boat Basin.  It is walking distance to a lot of stuff.  We walked up to Broadway and went to Zabar's, a deli, for lunch.  I had the knish I wanted.  It was delicious!

Then we walked through Theodore Roosevelt Park to get to Central Park.  Central Park is huge.  There are lots of trees and hills and big boulders that we climbed on.  There are a lot of people.  We listened for a while to a man playing an octave mandolin.  It is one octave higher than a regular mandolin, so it was smaller.

There is a large open area in the park called The Great Lawn.  There are six baseball fields and lots of open space.  It would be a great place to fly a kite, I think.  We met some kids playing baseball, and they let Chris and me join them.  While we were playing, Dad and Mr. Rick took naps on a bench.  Mom watched us.  It was a lot of fun.  I am happy.©

Thursday, 6/26/08

Today we had bagels for breakfast.  They were nice and toasty and hot.  After breakfast, Mr. Rick left.  He took a subway to the train and the train to the airport to go back home to Alabama.  We left too.  We sailed to Atlantic Highlands, NJ where we met Mr. Bill and Mrs. Beverly.  We met them in Houma, LA on our last cruise, but I didn't really remember them.  They are very nice.  They picked us up in their powerboat and took us down the Shrewsbury River to their house.  Supper was yummy at their house.  After supper, Chris and I caught fireflies in the backyard.  We released them later.  We had a lot of fun.  I am happy.©

Friday, 6/27/08

Today we were at the library all day so Mom and Dad could get internet.  Chris and I did school.  That's all.  I am happy. ©

Saturday, 6/28/08

We moved to Perth Amboy.  It is near Grandma's house and she came to visit.  She took us to the laundromat and other stores.  We shopped all day.  We had some ice cream for lunch at Friendly's.  My banana split was good.  I am

Sunday, 6/29/08

Mom went shopping with Grandma again today.  Chris and I tried to fish, but it turned into a disaster and we only got enough bait for Chris.  He didn't catch anything.

While Chris fished, I made Grandma a dragon out of the gold clay she bought me yesterday.  It looked like a Pterosaur with two horns and fire coming out of its mouth.  Chris tied some wire around it, so that Grandma could hang it.  Grandma liked it.  So do I.

MaryAnn, Grandma's friend, came to see the boat this evening.  We had a small dinner together.

Grandma is staying for the night.  I am happy.©

Monday, 6/30/08

We sailed to New York with Grandma today.  We passed the Statue of Liberty again.  Chris and I took a picture with Grandma.

We caught two bluefish on the way!  Chris reeled in an 18 ½ incher, and I reeled in a 16 ½ incher.  I could barely reel in the fish and it wasn't even 1 ½ feet long!  That's weird because I can easily reel in a 3ft. barracuda.  Then again, I was pulling against the current.

Chris and I opened our birthday presents from Grandma because she wanted to see us open them since she won't be here on our birthdays.  I got some cool model planes that I played with all day.  I am happy.©
last page
next page